Saliva tests can detect cocaine use for up to two days. Saliva tests are not very common, because urine tests are generally cheaper and more accurate.
Cocaine itself does not stay in saliva for two days. Instead, cocaine metabolites called benzoylecgonine are tested for.
These metabolites are a type of enzyme produced by the liver which helps the body to process cocaine.
Cocaine Detection Times In Saliva
Cocaine use remains detectable in the saliva for about two days. Many factors can play a role in determining the exact timeframe that cocaine is detectable by drug tests.
The half-life of cocaine is about one hour. A drug’s half-life is the amount of time that it takes for the body to eliminate one half of the substance from the bloodstream.
Saliva testing is the least common type of drug screening. Urine testing is generally more accurate, cheaper, and can detect drugs for longer. Blood tests are also very accurate.
Sometimes, saliva tests are used “in the field” when the privacy needed for a urine test is not available.
Factors That Influence How Long Cocaine Stays In The System
Many factors can influence how long cocaine drug use remains detectable.
These factors include:
- alcohol consumption (drinking alcohol can slow cocaine processing times)
- hydration (better hydration usually leads to faster processing of drugs)
- body fat (more body fat generally means longer times to eliminate cocaine)
- method of cocaine ingestion (smoking or injecting cocaine keeps the drug in the bloodstream for a shorter time than snorting it)
- activity level (more active people usually move drugs through their system faster)
Treatment Services For Cocaine Addiction
The effects of cocaine addiction can be devastating. Substance abuse treatment can help you or a loved one recover if you are battling addiction.
Treatment programs for cocaine addiction may start with detox before moving to inpatient rehab at a certified treatment center. After rehab, outpatient care should continue as long as necessary.
The best treatment options for drug addiction combine physical, mental, and behavioral healthcare to give clients the best possible chance at making a full recovery.
Find A Drug Rehab Program For Cocaine Abuse
Substance use disorders are serious conditions, but with the right care, recovery is possible. Bedrock Recovery Center, located in Canton, MA, is the east coast’s top addiction treatment center.
Whether you or a loved one has an addiction to a dangerous stimulant drug like cocaine, or to lethal drugs like opioids, Bedrock can help.
Our team is dedicated to providing our clients with excellent care, and we strive to set our clients up for a long-term, successful recovery.
Call our helpline today to learn more about our treatment programs.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse https://nida.nih.gov/publications/drugfacts/cocaine
- U.S. National Library Of Medicine: MedlinePlus https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/drug-testing/
- U.S. National Library of Medicine https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/cocaine#section=Biological-Half-Life