There are many negative consequences of a substance use disorder, including potential fatal outcomes such as overdose death. These risk factors can affect anybody, regardless of their wealth or stature.
Dozens of talented singers, songwriters, actors, and celebrity personalities have fallen victim to heroin overdose and death over the years.
The following is a list of celebrities that have died from a heroin overdose or complications related to heroin use.
Jim Morrison, Musician, 27 Years Old
Jim Morrison was the lead singer of the American psychedelic rock group The Doors. He died in a Paris hotel room due to a probable heroin overdose.
John Belushi, Actor, 33 Years Old
This actor gained notoriety from his performances on Saturday Night Live and the Blues Brothers. Belushi died from an overdose on heroin and cocaine, also known as a “speedball”.
Janis Joplin, Musician, 27 Years Old
Janis Joplin was found dead in a hotel room after taking too much heroin. It is suspected that Joplin took a batch of heroin that was far more potent than what she was accustomed to.
River Phoenix, Actor, 23 Years Old
River Phoenix reportedly only ingested heroin on occasion. He died after using cocaine and heroin in the Viper Room in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
Amy Winehouse, Musician, 27 Years Old
This English singer-songwriter had a long-term addiction to cocaine. In 2011, she was found unresponsive in her home after a binge of various illicit substances, including heroin.
Chris Farley, Actor, 33 Years Old
The cause of death for this Saturday Night Live actor was an apparent overdose of cocaine and heroin.
Jimi Hendrix, Musician, 27 Years Old
It’s still unclear what precise factors led to the psychedelic rocker and guitarist Jimi Hendrix’s death, but it’s suspected that he died of a possible overdose on barbiturates and heroin.
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Actor, 44 Years Old
This Oscar-nominated actor had been sober from heroin abuse for years until he relapsed in 2012. He was found dead in his New York apartment in 2014 due to an overdose.
Cory Monteith, Actor And Musician, 31 Years Old
Cory Monteith died from a toxic combination of heroin and alcohol in a Canadian hotel room.
Treatment Programs For Heroin Drug Use
Evidence-based substance use disorder treatment will give you the best chance at achieving lasting sobriety from heroin or other drugs of abuse.
Treatment options for heroin use disorder at a rehab center may include:
- medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for heroin addiction
- medically monitored heroin detox
- counseling services for drug and alcohol abuse
- dual diagnosis care for co-occurring disorders
- residential and outpatient programs
Find Treatment At Bedrock Recovery Center
Call the helpline at Bedrock Recovery Center today for more information on inpatient rehab for heroin drug addiction. Our team can answer all your questions and provide referrals for medical advice.
- National Institute of Health (NIH) — Drug-related celebrity deaths: A cross-sectional study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5148833/
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) https://www.samhsa.gov/medication-assisted-treatment
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Evidence-Based Resources About Opioid Overdose https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/overdose