How To Choose A Rehab Center
Choosing the best rehab center for yourself or a loved one with an addiction is an important decision for someone’s healing journey.
Our treatment team at Bedrock Recovery Center understands that it can be difficult for families to know what to look for in a treatment facility to ensure their loved one receives quality care.
Here you will find information on:
- what to look for in a rehab center
- factors to consider when choosing a rehab center
- where to find quality Massachusetts addiction treatment
What To Look For In A Drug Rehab Center
Addiction rehab centers are not all the same. They can differ in a number of ways. But understanding these differences, and knowing what to look for, isn’t always easy.
Often, families who are looking for a rehab center for their loved one are under stress. You may be tired, scared, frustrated. We understand—and want to help.
When it comes to a treatment center, here is what to look for:
Treatment facilities that are licensed, state-certified, and/or accredited addiction treatment providers are those that meet certain standards of care, based on care quality assessments.
The best rehab centers for drug and alcohol abuse will have ratings, reviews, and testimonials that can demonstrate their success in helping clients achieve recovery from addiction.
Where you can find this information:
- Google ratings
- Google reviews from former clients or family
- website testimonials
Addiction is best treated with what’s known as evidence-based treatment. This is a form of treatment that’s proven through research to be effective for general or specific populations.
Evidence-based treatments for addiction can vary according to the specific type of addiction. But examples include behavioral therapy and medication-assisted treatment (MAT) for alcohol and opioid addiction.
Range Of Treatment Services
Facilities that offer a range of services within their treatment programs demonstrate an understanding that clients will walk through their doors with varying needs.
Recovery isn’t a one-size-fits all process. Some treatments can work better for some people than others. Offering a variety of services can help ensure clients find what works best for them.
Continuum Of Care
Addiction recovery is a lifelong journey. The best rehab centers will offer a continuum of care, or access to continuing care services for support across all stages of the recovery process.
Some rehab centers will offer multiple levels of care from their own facility. Others may partner with other treatment providers, or belong to a network of rehab centers that together offer continuity of care.
What To Consider When Choosing A Rehab Center
When it comes to choosing a substance abuse rehab center, you or your loved ones may want to consider a variety of factors.
Here are some factors you might consider before beginning your search for a treatment center:
What Type Of Treatment You Need
Addiction rehab centers can vary in which types of addictions they choose to treat. For example, some rehab centers may specialize in treating opioid addiction or alcohol abuse.
Finding a rehab center that has experience treating your type of addiction is crucial for ensuring you are able to receive the care you need.
Level Of Care
Addiction can be treated at various levels of care, depending on the severity of a person’s illness, its duration, and other personal health care needs.
Levels of care for addiction include:
- Detoxification: Detox is the first step of the addiction treatment process for those who are dependent on one or more drugs (including alcohol).
- Inpatient Treatment: This is the most intensive level of care that involves temporarily living in a rehab facility, typically for 30 to 90 days on average.
- Residential Treatment: This is another intensive treatment option, similar to inpatient treatment, that may or may not offer detoxification services.
- Partial Hospitalization: This is a step-down program that involves spending multiple hours at a treatment center during the day. Clients do not stay at the facility overnight.
- Intensive Outpatient: This outpatient program is similar to partial hospitalization/day treatment, but is less intensive with fewer hours onsite.
- General Outpatient: This is the least-intensive treatment program that may involve attending treatment for one or several hours a week.
Outside of a formal rehab program, people with mild substance use issues may also benefit from individual treatment services, such as drug counseling.
Goals For Treatment
It’s reasonable and common for people to enter a treatment program with specific goals and expectations for their treatment process, depending on where they are in their recovery journey.
- detoxing from a substance
- accessing specialized care for dual diagnosis
- stabilizing on medication for addiction
- getting care for co-occurring medical conditions (e.g. HIV, chronic pain)
- addressing specific addictive behaviors
It’s important to look for a rehab center that can accommodate your individual goals.
Specialty Care Needs
Addiction can affect anyone. And some people may require care that can accommodate certain physical, mental health, or behavioral needs.
Specialty needs might include:
- dual diagnosis (i.e. a co-occurring mental health disorder)
- accommodations for a physical disability
- accommodations for a learning disability
- treatment for trauma
- chronic medical conditions
- prenatal/pregnancy care
- HIV/AIDS treatment
- LGBTQ+ friendly care
- veteran-specific treatment
Treatment Center Location
Before choosing a rehab center, consider how far you are willing to travel for treatment. For some, finding a local rehab center near home is ideal.
For others, the type of treatment program, insurance coverage, or reputation of a rehab center—regardless of location—may take precedence in the decision-making process.
Duration Of Rehab Program
Addiction treatment programs can vary in length. Some treatment centers offer short-term rehab programs, while others specialize in long-term rehab for substance abuse.
Twenty-eight to 60 days is the average length of a residential rehab program. Long-term residential rehab or outpatient programs may last anywhere from 90 days up to six months or longer.
Treatment centers can also differ from one another in the amenities they are able to offer clients.
Some rehab centers, commonly described as luxury rehab centers, will offer a variety of amenities to help create an atmosphere that is similar to a home or a hotel.
Amenities offered might include:
- private rooms
- massage therapy
- access to a gymnasium
- horseback riding
- nutritionist services
- phone, TV, and computer services
- maid services
- swimming pool
Some other rehab centers take a minimalist approach to amenities, focusing on providing evidence-based care and preparing clients for life in recovery.
When searching for a rehab center for yourself or a loved one, it’s worth considering what you’re looking for out of your rehabilitation experience.
Cost Of Treatment
Substance abuse treatment can vary in its cost.
This will depend on factors such as:
- type of rehab program (e.g. outpatient detox vs. inpatient rehab)
- how you plan to pay for treatment (e.g. self-pay, Medicaid, private insurance)
- length of the program
- private vs. not-for-profit treatment center
- specialty services offered
Some treatment centers offer scholarship programs for clients. Others may offer sliding scale services for low-income clients.
Before searching for a treatment facility, first ask yourself how you plan to pay and/or how much you’re willing to pay out-of-pocket.
Continuity Of Care
Overcoming a drug addiction is not a quick or easy process. This can take time, and may require treatment at multiple levels of care over several months or years, from inpatient to outpatient.
What this can look like in practice:
- aftercare support
- finding supportive housing for clients
- finding clients an outpatient counselor
- coordinating care at another treatment facility following completion of a rehab program
- coordinating community-based care
- connecting clients with alumni recovery support
At Bedrock Recovery Center, providing continuity of care for our clients is a top priority.
We aim to support clients through each step of their recovery journey, to help set you or your loved one up for success.
Finding The Right Rehab Center For You
Once you have considered which factors are most important to you in the decision-making process, it’s time to begin your search for a rehab program.
There are several ways you can go about this:
Talk To Your Family Doctor
If you are searching for addiction treatment for the first time, a general physician or family doctor may be a good place to start.
Your doctor can provide a drug or alcohol assessment, and recommend treatment options based on assessment results, as well as your medical and mental health history.
Consult Your Counselor
If you have an existing relationship with a substance use or mental health counselor, they can also be a useful resource for finding suitable treatment.
Talking to a healthcare professional who has knowledge of your mental health, medical, and substance use history can help to inform your next step.
Call Our Helpline
At Bedrock Recovery Center, we pride ourselves on the support we’re able to offer those who are ready to begin their journey toward addiction recovery.
By calling our helpline, we can provide information about our Massachusetts treatment center or other suitable options for treatment, depending on your or your loved one’s needs.
Within our facility, our leading treatment center offers:
- drug and alcohol detoxification (detox)
- residential treatment
- medication-assisted treatment
If our treatment facility isn’t right for you, or you need a different level of care, we can help.
Bedrock belongs to a network of treatment facilities located across the Bay state. Together, this network offers a full continuum of care for people with substance use disorders.
Begin Your Addiction Recovery Journey At Bedrock
We understand that finding the best treatment for someone you care about isn’t easy. That’s why we’re here to help.
Contact us today to learn more about our addiction recovery programs at Bedrock Recovery Center in Canton, Massachusetts.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration — (SAMHSA) Finding Quality Treatment for Substance Use Disorders https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/d7/priv/pep18-treatment-loc.pdf
- USA.gov — Mental Health and Substance Abuse https://www.usa.gov/mental-health-substance-abuse
- U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research Guide (Third Edition) https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/principles-effective-treatment