What Is The Cost Of Zoloft (Sertraline) On The Street?
Zoloft, the brand name for sertraline, is a prescription medication that is sometimes purchased through the black market for off-label use and drug abuse.
The average cost of Zoloft tablets sold on the street is low, ranging from $1 to $2 per pill or tablet. However, this price may vary according to various factors.
What Factors Can Affect The Street Price Of Zoloft?
Zoloft is manufactured in the form of a tablet or, less commonly, in liquid form. While it’s prescribed for several mental health uses, it is also sold illegally on the street.
The street price of Zoloft can vary according to factors such as:
- the dosage amount
- local availability
- where you’re buying from (e.g. online, through a friend)
The Street Value Of Zoloft
Zoloft is not a drug that is known for having addictive side effects, even when taken in ways other than as prescribed by a doctor.
Because of this, the street value of Zoloft is low compared to prescription drugs like Adderall, opioids, and benzodiazepines, which have a higher abuse potential.
Why Do People Buy Zoloft Illegally?
Zoloft is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) that’s prescribed by healthcare providers for a number of mental health issues that commonly affect Americans.
According to the FDA, approved uses for Zoloft include:
- social anxiety disorder
- panic disorder
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
Zoloft isn’t commonly abused. However, some research shows that antidepressants will sometimes be misused for reported side effects, including mild stimulant effects.
Zoloft may also be bought illegally if someone is unable to acquire a prescription for the antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication.
Treatment Options For Zoloft Abuse
Zoloft can be misused in order to self-medicate or enhance the effects of other addictive drugs, such as opiates or benzodiazepines.
A holistic treatment plan for Zoloft abuse, incorporating both mental health and substance use treatment, is typically recommended for people who abuse this drug.
Find Treatment For Zoloft Abuse
Bedrock Recovery Center is a leading addiction treatment facility in Massachusetts that offers a range of drug abuse treatment programs.
For more information about our prescription drug treatment programs, call our helpline today to speak to an admissions specialist.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) — Sertraline (marketed as Zoloft) Information https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/sertraline-marketed-zoloft-information
- U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — Misuse of Prescription Drugs Research Report https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/misuse-prescription-drugs/overview
- U.S. National Library of Medicine: MedlinePlus — Sertraline https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a697048.html
- U.S. National Library of Medicine: NCBI — Abuse and misuse of antidepressants https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4140701/