10 Questions To Ask Before Choosing An Addiction Recovery Center
Addiction recovery centers can vary widely in their approaches, offering a range of services to address the unique needs and preferences of people seeking help.
Before choosing an addiction recovery center, here are ten questions you should ask to gain a better understanding of the center’s strategies, features, and expectations.
The Importance Of Choosing The Right Addiction Treatment Program
Every substance abuse disorder is as unique as the person who needs treatment. For the best long-term outcomes, it’s important to choose an addiction treatment facility that suits your needs.
Finding the right addiction treatment program often means looking for a rehab facility that offers specialized options for the specific kind of substance use as well as a treatment philosophy that matches the individual.
1. Is The Treatment Center Accredited And/Or Licensed?
Accredited treatment centers have quality standards and comply with state regulations, meaning you can be sure of the center’s legitimacy and commitment to care.
When researching treatment programs, look for centers licensed by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), the Joint Commission, or the state.
2. What Addiction Treatment Approaches Are Offered?
Addiction treatment approaches can vary widely. Here are a few common methods to ask about.
Levels Of Care
The levels of care for addiction treatment are:
- residential/inpatient treatment
- outpatient treatment
- partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
- intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
Get Started On The Road To Recovery.
Get Confidential Help 24/7. Call Today!(617) 657-2877
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT)
MAT involves the use of FDA-approved medications, such as methadone, buprenorphine, or naltrexone, in combination with counseling and therapy.
MAT can be effective in managing cravings and withdrawal symptoms for people with opioid or alcohol addiction.
Rehabilitation centers often employ a variety of therapeutic approaches to address addiction and promote recovery.
Holistic treatment approaches focus on healing the mind, body, and spirit through practices like yoga, art and music therapy, and meditation.
Some addiction treatment programs offer faith-based services, integrating spirituality into the recovery process.
These programs may incorporate religious teachings, prayer, and support from clergy or spiritual counselors.
Some addiction treatment centers offer clinical services such as psychiatric services and medication management as a part of their programs.
3. Are Staff Experienced With The Appropriate Credentials?
Choosing a treatment team with credentials means the treatment center’s staff have met established standards of education.
Select a rehab center with licensed physicians, Licensed Clinical Alcohol and Drug Counselors (LCADC), and Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW).
4. How Long Do Treatment Programs Last?
Typically, treatment is divided into short-term and long-term programs.
Short-term residential programs usually last around 28 to 30 days. They provide intensive inpatient treatment and are suitable for people with moderate addiction.
Long-term residential programs can last from 90 days to up to a year or more. These programs are designed for people with severe substance use disorders.
5. What Is The Rehab Center’s Success Rate?
The success rate of a rehab center can be a valuable metric to consider. Success in addiction treatment can vary from person to person and may be defined in different ways.
Success may mean:
- achieving and maintaining sobriety
- improving overall wellbeing
- reestablishing healthy relationships
- gaining employment
- achieving specific treatment goals
Success rates can be measured at intervals of one year, five years, ten years, and more.
Potential clients should ask about the interval of a treatment center’s success rate and request testimonials from prior clients.
6. What Amenities Are Offered To Clients During Treatment?
While some facilities offer more luxurious amenities than others, the primary focus of addiction treatment is on therapy, counseling, and evidence-based interventions.
However, many centers do provide additional amenities to enhance the comfort and well-being of their clients.
Some common amenities that clients may find during addiction treatment include:
- fitness programs
- nutritional support
- onsite facilities
- recreation areas
- meditation spaces
- swimming pools and spa services
- educational resources
- pet therapy
- access to nature
- family and visitor accommodations
7. What Payment Options Are Available?
Many addiction treatment centers accept private health insurance plans; although, it’s important to verify what types of treatment and services are covered, as well as any out-of-pocket expenses.
Some facilities offer a sliding fee scale based on an individual’s income and ability to pay. This can make treatment more affordable for those with lower incomes.
Some facilities also accept government-funded programs like Medicaid and Medicare, which provide coverage for addiction treatment services.
8. Are Family Members Encouraged To Be A Part Of Treatment?
Involving family members in addiction treatment can be beneficial and is often encouraged in many treatment programs.
Some centers offer family therapy where family members help provide emotional support, encouragement, and understanding to the person in treatment.
Before committing to a treatment center, ask about visitation hours, how many visitors are allowed at one time, and whether prior approval for visitors is required.
Also be sure to ask about how visitors can communicate with the person in treatment, such as by phone or mail.
9. What Are The Rules For Clients While Onsite?
When considering the rules at a treatment center, ask questions to ensure you understand the guidelines and expectations.
A few questions to cover include:
- Is smoking cigarettes allowed?
- Are electronics allowed?
- How are the clients monitored or supervised?
- Are visitors allowed, and how often?
- Can visitors bring outside food or drinks?
- What happens in the event of a violation of visitation rules?
These questions will help you gain a clear understanding of the visitation rules and guidelines at the onsite rehab facility, ensuring a smooth experience for residents and visitors.
10. Does The Rehab Center Offer An Aftercare Program?
It’s important to ask about aftercare programs when considering a rehab center for addiction treatment.
Aftercare is a critical component of the recovery process and helps people maintain sobriety and transition back into daily life.
You can also ask if the center features relapse prevention initiatives that can help clients stay on track after they’ve finished their treatment.
Ask About Addiction Treatment At Bedrock Recovery Center
If you or someone you love is seeking treatment in New England, our Bedrock Recovery Center specialists can help. Call our treatment center today.
- Food And Drug Administration (FDA) https://www.fda.gov/drugs/information-drug-class/information-about-medication-assisted-treatment-mat
- Mat-Su Health Services https://www.mshsak.org/understanding-healthcare-services-on-a-sliding-fee-scale
- The Commission On Accreditation Of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) https://www.carf.org/home/
- The Joint Commission (JCAHO) https://www.jointcommission.org/what-we-offer/accreditation/health-care-settings/behavioral-health-care/learn/accreditation-options-certifications/